To transport visitors around the site, the museum has access to a number of trams, some of which have been borrowed from Rotterdam and The Hague. The Rotterdam ‘workhorses’ (535, 536 and 520) actually take care of the majority of the tram rides around the museum. The most recent tram is the 631, dating from 1968. This tram travels faster than the others and is able to carry more passengers.
The trams are maintained on a daily basis in the depot. The GETA 76 is in fact a replica that was reconstructed in its entirety. Inside the depot you will get a chance to look closely at any trams that are not running on the day of your visit.
Overview of the trams at the Open Air Museum
Very few of Arnhem's trams remained after the war. The GETA 76, originally built in 1929, is therefore a replica. It was constructed over a number of years on the basis of various drawings and with the help of the experiences of former tram personnel.
The GETA 76 is not an exact replica of the five trams from the GETA 70-75 series. Arnhem’s trams, for example, ran on narrow gauge track, whilst the museum has decided to use standard gauge track. This makes it possible for other trams to run on the track and for the GETA 76 to be easily lent out.
In spite of these modifications, however, the GETA 76 offers an excellent insight into Arnhem's trams in the 1920s.
If an emergency stop has to be performed, sand is scattered onto the tracks prior to braking to prevent the wheels from slipping. The sand is stored under a number of seats in the tram. This system is operated by the driver.
This tram served in The Hague until 1963 and formed part of the 250-279 series, built by HAWA in Hanover. A number of the trams from this series were converted into gritters. This was not the case for this 274, which was incorporated into the collection of the Dutch Tramway Preservation Society. The tram was substantially refurbished at the museum between 1996 and 2001. It has been fitted out in the style of a 1920s tram.
Four-axle 520, 535 and 536
In 1929, trams with four axles entered into service for the first time with Rotterdam’s tram company, Rotterdamsche Elektrische Tram (RET). So successful were they that RET ordered a further hundred of them. These trams were a defining feature of Rotterdam’s street scene until 1967-1969.
It was then decided to scrap the trams. Only twenty of them were spared this fate, and Rotterdam still takes good care of the remaining trams, operating them on tourist line 10, for example, which runs right through the city in the summer. The trams at the museum are on loan from RET and have been fitted out in the style of 1930s trams.
Six-axle articulated power car 631
This is the most recent tram that travels around the museum. It was built in 1968 and served in Rotterdam with Rotterdamsche Elektrische Tram (RET) until 1995. It was repainted in RET’s modern colours of white, green and black in 1999.This tram can carry more people than the other trams, with capacity for around 140 standing passengers. The museum therefore mainly uses this tram during busy periods.
RET four-axle trailer car 1050
This 1050 trailer car originates from the 1021-1056 series, which was supplied to Rotterdamsche Elektrische Tram between 1948 and 1950 by the manufacturer Allan of Rotterdam. It had capacity for 34 seated and 50 standing passengers. At the museum, it has been fitted out in the style of a 1950s tram and is coupled behind the Rotterdam four-axle trams. It was also sometimes used in this way when it was actually in service.