Wealthy merchants in the Zaan area would have had an office at home. The summer house would have been situated facing the Zaan river (represented at the museum by the museum lake). From this sun room, with its many windows, the occupant would have had a splendid view of the busy river, making it a perfect spot to while away any free hours.
Back to overview of buildings
For 200 years, from 1740 onwards, this merchant's house was lived in by members of the prosperous Honig family, which traded in oil-bearing seeds. The family's name lives on today through the Honig factories.
Technical information U-shaped building, consisting of 5 different sections built between 1686 and 1800. Originally a single dwelling but divided into two dwellings in 1890. The museum restored the building and converted it back into a single dwelling.