In 1951, twelve thousand Moluccan soldiers from the Royal Dutch East Indian Army and their families had to leave their homeland for what they thought would be only a temporary stay in the Netherlands. They were housed in camps. The camp in Lage Mierde was one of the smaller ones, consisting of living barracks, an infirmary, a school, a church, a canteen, a laundry and lavatories. Eighteen families lived here from 1952 to 1962. Initially, the Dutch cook prepared meals for the occupants in the central kitchen - not the cuisine they were used to back home, but typical Dutch fare!
The occupants expected their stay in the Netherlands to be only a temporary one. The suitcases next to the beds were used as a place to store their clothes, but they also show that they were ready to return home at any moment. For many of them, however, their stay in the Netherlands turned into a permanent relocation.
Wooden barracks, originally the administrator’s living quarters and central kitchen. Back to overview of buildings